I love Tabbouleh, never had the pleasure of making it from scratch though. It has such a light, vibrant flavor combination – lemon, parsley, mint. And super healthy to boot! Perfect, easy peasy side dish for some simple grilled chicken, or by itself with some warm pita. Mmmm…. I was impressed with how super simple it was to put together too.
The Recipe (makes 6 servings):
1/2 cup quick cooking bulgur wheat
1 cup cold water
1 ripe medium tomato
2 bunches fresh parsley sprigs
2 teaspoons dried mint (or fresh)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Crumbled Feta (optional)
1. Place bulgur wheat in a sauce pan with the water. Cook per package (mine was bring to a boil and then simmer for 12-15 minutes with the lid on).
2. Rinse the tomato, seed and cut into small chunks.
3. Finely chop the scallions (don’t forget to use some of the white!), parsley, and fresh mint (if you’re using).
4. Remove the wheat from the saucepan when finished and place in a large bowl to cool.
5. Once the bulgur wheat is cool, sprinkle the parsley, mint, tomato, and scallions over the wheat. Add the oil, lemon juice, and salt and toss to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
6. Sprinkle with feta right before serving. And voila! Amazing, healthy side dish in no time!