This bread is so good, drool worthy in fact. Just a hint of sweetness, amazing texture from the walnuts and the oatmeal. And the streusel is to die for – sweet, crunchy, nutty – you get where I’m going 🙂 Perfect on the go breakfast, or snack – or for that Mother’s Day Brunch you’re planning! I can tell we’ll be making this a lot in our house. Good luck trying to keep this around yours for long!
The Recipe (makes 1 loaf):
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature. Plus extra for buttering the pan.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (325 if using a dark pan)
2. Make the honey oatmeal streusel. Beat the honey and butter with a mixer until smooth. Add the oatmeal, walnuts and cinnamon and mix on low speed until blended. Set aside.
3. Butter the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
4. Place the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix to incorporate. Set aside.
5. In your mixer, place the butter and brown sugar in the bowl and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
6. Break the egg into the butter mixture and beat until combined.
7. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until smooth. Add the milk and mix again.
8. Add the walnuts into the batter and mix until they are distributed throughout the batter.
9. Scrape the batter into the buttered loaf pan. Sprinkle the streusel over top.
10. Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour (mine was honestly closer to 40 minutes).
11. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.