Call it what you will, but let’s be honest – it’s a meatball. 🙂 But a darn good meatball! I followed the recipe almost to a “T”, and it turned out amazing. The only suggestion I didn’t take was to turn the “meat muffin” upside down when serving so the bacon is on the bottom. Who in their right mind would hide bacon?!?
*Pro Tip: Place your muffin tin in a dish with higher sides to catch the drippings. I’ll be cleaning my oven if anyone needs me…sigh…
2 Tablespoons butter (or cooking spray)
1 medium onion
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
3 slices of bacon, cut into thirds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Lightly butter a muffin tin (or spray lightly with cooking spray)
3. Finely chop onion.
4. Place meat in large working bowl. Add in chopped onion, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Break egg into bowl and mix all ingredients by hand until incorporated.
5. Spoon 1 tablespoon of ketchup into each muffin tin (The recipe calls for 6 meat muffins, I ended up with 7).
6. Divide the meat mixture evenly into muffin cups (the book kindly reminds us to wash our hands after this step, so don’t forget!)
7. Place 1 strip of the cut bacon over each meatloaf.
8. Place the muffin tin on your preferred baking dish (to catch drippings – don’t be like me!!)
9. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and serve bacon side up (don’t listen to them and hide the bacon!) Serve alongside your favorite veggies (we had some kale hanging around that was dying to be sauteed).