Apparently, I’m mini-muffin pan obsessed this week. But this recipe warranted it’s second use, nay, demanded it. Three words people – Salted Caramel Brownie. Oh yeah, you heard me. I can’t think of a better combination. Ooey, gooey salted caramel poured lovingly over a warm, fudgy brownie…it’s food porn at it’s best. Did I mention I made my own homemade caramel for the first time as well? Could this day get any better?!? Why yes, it can. I have brownies to eat!
Check out this luscious bite-sized goodness.
Recipe adapted from here
The Recipe (makes 20-22 yummy brownie bites):
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray mini muffin cups with non stick baking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl using a rubber spatula, mix together melted butter, sugar and salt. Once combined mix in your egg and vanilla extract. Add in cocoa powder and flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl just until all the ingredients have come together. Using a cookie scooper or tablespoon. Fill greased mini muffin cups about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Allow brownie bites to cool before removing from the muffin tin.
- While the brownies are cooling, make the caramel sauce. Recipe from here.
Bring sugar and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook without stirring, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush, until sugar is a deep amber color, 5-8 minutes. Remove caramel from heat.
Add cream and butter (mixture will bubble vigorously) and whisk to combine. Let cool slightly in pan. Add a little more cream if the caramel appears too thick to pour.
7. Using a spoon, make a slight depression in the tops of the brownies and pour a small amount (or large amount depending on your mood…) over the brownies. Sprinkle with sea salt. Sit back and enjoy the sweet chocolate ride…