In my newbie travels as a blogger, I’ve come across some really amazing blogs (and some not so amazing, but I digress…). Edibles & Travels is one of my new faves (I envy the peaks on her muffins 😉 ), and she recently posted a recipe for Banana Coconut Muffins. Had a nice Caribbean-sounding vibe, brought be back to my honeymoon…you get my drift. So I thought, hey, I have coconut. I have a borderline overly ripe banana that’s looking lonely! And thus, these Banana Coconut Scones were born. If anyone needs me, I’ll be sipping a Rum Punch, my toes in the sand, enjoying a scone – well maybe not really, but a girl can dream, right?!? 🙂
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, cold
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sweetened coconut (plus additional for garnish)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Place the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
3. Cut the butter into pieces and add to the flour mixture. Work the butter into the flour with your hands until the butter disappears into the flour and it yellows a bit.
4. Add the honey, milk, and egg to the flour mixture and stir until mixed well. Add the coconut and mashed banana and mix again until all incorporated.
5. Scoop spoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet about an inch apart. Sprinkle with a little additional coconut, if desired.
6. Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the scones are slightly golden on top.
7. Remove the scones and place them on a cooling rack. They are best when served warm and drizzled with a little honey. Yum, yum 🙂