I’m a huge fan of anything lemon when it comes to baking. These are amazing, and super simple to put together. The honey adds just the right amount of sweetness without being overpowering. A perfectly light, warm-weather dessert 🙂
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
2 large eggs
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest (my addition, but a little more lemon flavor never hurts in my opinion!!)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Heat oven to 350 F (325 F if using glass or dark metal pans)
2. To make the dough, place the flour and the sugar in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
3. Cut the cold butter into small chunks and add to the flour mixture. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture until all the butter disappears and the dough starts to hold together a bit.
4. Place the dough in an 8″x8″ baking pan and press into the bottom in an even layer.
5. Place in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes to bake.
6. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and add the honey and lemon juice. Whisk together until completely blended. Add the flour and baking powder and whisk again until smooth.
7. Remove crust from the oven and pour the lemon filling into the pan.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The filling should not move when you slightly shake the pan. If it does, place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
9. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow 10 minutes for cooling before cutting into squares. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy the lemony goodness!